If you’ve ever been to a Washington Nationals game, then you know the famous racing presidents.
Some MLB teams hold similar races, but they’re usually reserved for something like hot dogs. Not that there is anything wrong with hot dogs, but there is just something simply amazing watching Teddy Roosevelt, Abe Lincoln, George Washington and Thomas Jefferson and their gigantic heads lap around the ball park.
Well, now is your chance to be one of the presidents! The Nationals will be holding auditions January 6 but you have until Saturday, December 15 to apply online for a tryout.
Those wanting to try out must be at least 18 years old and have a high school diploma or GED. If you were a mascot before, then you will have a leg up!
- The team says racing presidents must be between 5 feet 7 inches and 6 feet 6 inches tall.
- You must be able to run from center field to first base — about 200 yards — in a 50-pound costume and to otherwise “properly function” wearing said 50-pound costume.
- If selected, the team wants you to commit to taking part in at least 40 percent of the team’s home games in 2019.
- Punctuality helps. If chosen, you need to be reliable and able to arrive at Nationals Park at least 90 minutes before the start of the game.
- Perhaps most important: Those selected to join the elite few must be prepared to “take on the persona of the racing president you encompass.”
Good luck to all the presidential hopefuls!